National 3 Peaks
The Challenge is to attempt to walk up and down the highest mountains in Scotland, England and Wales within 24 hours including the driving from Fort William to Wasdale Head to Llanberis. With a total driving distance of just over 450 miles taking on average 10 hours this is no easy challenge.
Walking the 3 mountains (Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon) must be completed in 14 hours or less.
Added together the walking time and driving time must equal 24 hours or less to be successful. We offer bespoke packages for groups of 6 or more people as well as Open Bus National 3 Peaks events for those wishing to join others to take part in the challenge.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Small Group
Why Book With Us?
We believe we provide a quality and honest service working to industry guidelines and the law.
To ensure we are a reputable company we do the following and more:
- We comply with the Package Travel Regulations 1992 by providing Financial protection for all bookings that constitute a package as a requirement by law.
- All vehicles are operated under the appropriate regional or national operating licenses as set out by VOSA and the DVSA.
- All drivers and leaders are appropriately qualified
- All vehicles, drivers and leaders are appropriately insured
- Proven experience of event organisation delivering over 100 events each season.
- All challenges are delivered within the guidelines of the 3 peaks partnership and Institute for Fundraising Guidelines.
- Experience of working with large corporate and charity groups
- All participants receive a 15% Cotswold Outdoor voucher
- Qualified and First Aid trained UK Mountain Leaders
- Professional transport with drivers from Warrington / Manchester / Chester / Glasgow to Fort William and throughout the challenge
- Drop off at Chester or Warrington railway station after the challenge.
- 1 Night twin room accommodation (minimum 3* B&B) in Fort William (single rooms available at a supplement)
- Professional group organisation by an experienced provider
- Certificates for all participants to prove you did it
- Fully insured events. We do however recommend you get personal trip insurance to cover everything else
- We comply with the Package Travel Regulations 1992 by providing financial protection for all bookings that constitute a package as a requirement by law. More details in the Financial Protection section of our booking conditions.
- Ongoing support from the Mountaineerin team from point of enquiry right through to the challenge
- All participants receive a 15% Cotswold Outdoor discount voucher
- All challenges are delivered within the guidelines of the 3 peaks partnership and Institute for Fundraising.
Some groups arrange to hire their own mini buses in order to complete the challenge. Any vehicle larger than a mini bus is generally unsuitable for the roads in the Highlands and around Scafell Pike/Wasdale.
Your transport should be driven by designated drivers who will not take part in the climbing aspect of the challenge. This is due to the driving time being a minimum of 10 hours and several hundred miles. We do recommend you use 2 drivers if considering a self drive option.
Transport provided by Mountaineerin includes; 2 professional 3 Peaks drivers and modern mini buses. Mini buses either have a large boot or trailer for luggage. All vehicles used are appropriately licensed, maintained, insured and drivers have the relevant licenses. Please ask for further details.
•1.5-2 Litre water per mountain
•Waterproofs (coat & pants)
•Snacks x 3 mountains
•Walking Poles (Optional)
•Hat, Scarf & Gloves
•Small 1st Aid Kit
On the Bus – Non walking clothes, Pillow and Food
This list is not exhaustive
A complete kit list will be provided by Mountaineerin upon booking.
In order for your challenge to be a success you need to have at least one member of the team who can confidently navigate using both a map and a compass. An example of the skill level required:
- Being able to navigate your way off the Scafell Summit Plateau at 2am in the morning, in the dark with thick fog surrounding you.
If you do not have the necessary skills you may need to book a mountain leader. You can do this by contacting us.
A good level of fitness will make this event more enjoyable and increase your chance of success. We also offer training walks to give you an idea of what the challenge entails. Visit 3 Peaks Training.
It must be noted that on a regular basis people underestimate these mountains and often get disorientated and lost due to poor weather conditions. If you’re unsure at all consider booking a leader.
A mountain leader will not only take responsibility for the navigation but also the safety and well being of the group. This is then something you don’t need to think about and can concentrate on getting up and down those mountains.
We offer a range of packages to suit all budgets and all experience levels. Packages include:
Leader only – Where we simply provide an experienced mountain leader to support your team to complete the challenge
Prices start at £84 per person
Leader & Transport – Where we supply the leader as above and a professional transport service with drivers.
Prices start at £260 per person
Leader, Transport & Accommodation – Leader and transport as above and 1 night twin room B&B accommodation normally in Fort William the night before your challenge. Single rooms available at a £20 supplement.
Prices start at £360 per person
For individual bookings and small groups (4 or less) we run Open National 3 Peaks Challenges. With open challenges we join small groups and individual bookings together to take on the challenge in a group. All open 3 peaks include:
1. Qualified and First Aid trained Mountain Leaders
2. Transport from Warrington and/or Glasgow (stations and airport)
3. 1 Night twin room B&B in Fort William (single rooms available at a £20 supplement)
4. Professional group organisation by an experienced provider
5. Transport at end of challenge with drop off at Chester railway station or Warrington Bank Quay
6. Small groups of no more than 6 participants increasing success rates
7. Compliance with the Package Travel Regulations 1992 by providing Financial Protection for packages
8. 15% Off voucher from Cotswold Outdoors
Open Challenges are £360 per person.
Our transport starts and ends in Warrington so we can pick you up in the following locations:
- Glasgow Central Station
- Glasgow International Airport
- En route between Warrington and Fort William.
Other pickup locations are available, please ask for details.
Drop off after the challenge is normally Chester or Warrington Bank Quay station.
Pick up and drop off times will be agreed when booking but can vary depending on the event.
A large number of our participants fly to Glasgow which generally saves a lot of time travelling in the mini bus.
All participants completing the challenge will receive a certificate in the post a few days after returning home.